Lewis and Clark Elementary
Cynthia Brown, Principal
Geoff White, Assistant Principal Becky Elam, Assistant Principal
Hours of Operation:
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
8:45 AM – 3:30 PM
Tel: (804) 448-0175
Fax: (844) 687-4759
Random Acts of Kindness Week
February 13th - 17th
One act of kindness can be the foundation for great change in the world! We are celebrating Random Acts of Kindness (RAKs) Week and want to continue throughout the whole school. Kindness means being friendly, generous or considerate to ourselves and others through words and actions. Students will be encouraged to perform acts of kindness. They will receive a RAKs Bingo Board at the beginning of the week, as they complete all the kind acts on the board they will color it in.
Attendance Matters: February Contest
We want you here each day!!
Chronic Absenteeism Defined:
According to the Virginia Department of Education, chronic absenteeism occurs when a student misses 10% or more of the school year.
Chronic Absenteeism in Caroline County Schools: CCPS has 175 school days in the 2022-23 school year. Ten percent of 175 is 17.5, so when a student misses 18 days of school, he or she is chronically absent. Research has shown that students experience learning loss when they are chronically absent.
· All absences are counted when determining if a student is chronically absent, including:
o Notes from the parent
o Medical notes from a doctor
o Court dates
o Death in the family that causes a student to miss school
o Vacations during the school year
o Religious observations
o Out-of-school suspension
February/African American History Month
-School Board Appreciation Month
3: National Wear Red day- American Heart Month
6: We love Snow Day- favorite winter outfit
6-10: National School Counseling week
9: Class Pictures and Club Pictures
10: PTA Treat Friday
13: Favorite Football Team Day and School Board Meeting @5:30 pm
13-17: School Bus Drivers Appreciation Week and Random Acts of Kindness Week
14: Wear Red- Happy Valentine’s Day
16: 3rd grade field trip
17: No School for Students
20: No School Holiday- Presidents Day
23: 2nd grade musical @ 6:30 pm
25: District Choir 4:00 pm @ Colonial Forge HS (Stafford VA)
27: LCES Spirit Day
Message from the Principals
Dear Parents and Guardians,
It is so hard to believe that the school year is 1/2 over. We are excited to recognize our students at our 1st semester Honors Assemblies on January 27th. We look forward to seeing the children blossom and grow more in the New Year. We had a very busy December here at LCES with many accomplishments to celebrate. We had 26 students from grades 2-5 participate in the LCES Spelling Bee. These Top 2 Spelling Winners: 1st place-Eric Gold (3rd) and 2nd place- Ben Loftis will move onto the County Spelling Bee on January 27th. That is a great accomplishment for these students. A huge applause to our teachers and students who participated in the Bowling Green Christmas Parade on December 10th. We are very proud of the Dance Team, who is under the direction of Mrs. Ballard for winning 3rd place. Also our LCES Chorus marched and danced with our Dance Team. We firmly believe in collaboration between home and school to do the best for the kiddos. Reminder that many of our grade levels are sending home permission slips for an upcoming field trip, please be sure to sign and return along with the monies to support the educational field trip. We appreciate your support and time.
Here are just a few reminders, as we work together to provide a safe and secure environment for our stakeholders:
- Students may arrive between 8:20-8:45 a.m. daily; after 8:45a.m., your child will be considered tardy;
- Breakfast begins at 8:20a.m. and ends at 9:00 a.m.;
- All visitors must enter through the front of the building and sign in at the front desk, proper Identification is required;
- All tardy students must be signed in by an adult after 8:45a.m.;
- Please arrive before 3:00 p.m. if you must sign out your child before dismissal, we will be unable to dismiss at the front desk after this time as we will be preparing for bus and car rider dismissal;
- Every day counts for attendance. Please be reminded that all students must be in school a minimum of three hours to be counted present. Students with five (5) tardies or (5) early dismissals during the school year will not be eligible for perfect attendance awards.
- If your child is a car rider, please stay in your vehicle and follow the car rider line for drop off and pick up.
Thank you so much to everyone who participated and donated in this year Kids Heart Challenge! This year we poured 115 cups of slime over Mrs. Foltz and Mr. Cooper during our assemblies. A grand total of over $13,000 raised for the American Heart Society!